Monday, September 16, 2013

The Entry Hall & My Introduction to Power Tools

Originally Rosie had a large arched doorway between the entry hall and living room.  I purchased a resin arch to trim this doorway, but when I placed the trim against the wall to see how it would look I discovered I didn't particularly care for it.  What I really wanted in this doorway was a set of french doors with lace panels.  Only problem with this idea is that the arched doorway is too wide and too short for french doors. Not to mention arched...

I don't like power tools.  Let me rephrase that: I very much appreciate what power tools are capable of creating in the right hands - but my hands are not the right ones...  Power tools, such as jigsaws, intimidate me. 

Add to this the fact that not only am I incapable of drawing or cutting a straight line, but no matter how many times I measure something, the measurements of my final project always end up a little bit off.  Knowing all of these limitations about myself, you would think that I would have picked a project with less potential for bodily injury or damage to the dollhouse shell.  But I was a woman with a mission and I wasn't going to let a little thing like inexperience stand in my way of getting the doorway cut!

I pulled out the jigsaw, plugged it in & went to work trying to cut out the outline I had drawn on the wall for the french doors.  And promptly broke the blade.  Now, I could've given up there and just waited for Kelly to come over next weekend and rescue my poor house by cutting the doorway herself, but once I decide to do something - for better or worse I do it.  So I taught myself how to change the blade & went back to work on the wall.

Before I show you what I ended up with, let me just point out that spackle is your friend....




As you can see by the photo, I still cannot cut a straight line; however, (patting self on back now) I am proud to announce that the doorway, such as it is, is now large enough for the french doors!  Once I sanded the jagged/lopsided cut and filled in the side of the doorway opening (where it's too wide for the door) with scrap wood  it was ready to spackle & prime.  After priming the wall, it looks (almost)as good as new & ready for wallpaper.

Primed wall


No comments:

Post a Comment